Tuesday, February 10, 2009

New camera time! (Decisive Moment Project)

I got a new digital camera, a Nikon D80. And I heart it. It's the most confusing thing I've ever tried to learn in my life, but I'm improving slowly but surely. I've been playing with the functions and whatnot. I took some pics with it of course, including some attempts at the Decisive Moment project, as well as a shot of a bridge which has nothing to do with Decisive Moment. I just felt like taking a picture of a bridge. I'm glad I did it, I have no regrets.






I tried really hard to get the effect of having the goalie in focus while everybody else was blurred, but the damn goalie wouldn't cooperate and stand still enough! I was marginally successful, but I know as my instincts as a photographer get better, I'll be ready for those kind of pictures.

I struggled at first to keep a balance between a quick shutter speed AND having the picture lit well enough to where you can actually see it. I ended up having to max out the ISO in order to get the look I wanted. The grain actually didn't look too bad in my opinion, I was pleased with the results.

The pictures of the birds were the most difficult. I don't know what's harder... following a moving puck with a camera or following a bird around. I took 318 pics of ducks and birds at the pond at DVC. Only got a handful of decent pics of the birds flying in the air. That and the 104 hockey pics I took tonight are going to be part of my Decisive Moment project. I still have one more photo shoot tomorrow planned, after the oh-so-yummy chocolate factory visit.

1 comment:

  1. The one of the bridge is beautiful.

    I WANT TO SEE YOUR CAMERA!!

    ReplyDelete